Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Childhood Memories

I love this quote by Walt Disney.  I think it is good to try to keep a child like spirit alive in our hearts as we walk through this life.  Life is so very hard, but I believe it is very beneficial to keep our hearts focused on more than our hardships.  One of the things that I like to do, is to look at images from things of my childhood and this helps to keep that more simple time alive for my spirit.  Today I thought I'd share a few of the things I remember from my days gone by.
On Friday nights our family would drink Coca Cola from glass bottles and pop popcorn while watching TV together, oh the sweet memories. 
At night our Mom would read us books,or even tell us a story that she would make up.
Little treasures meant so much to my heart back then.  It was nice how content my heart was to only have a few items that were special and how much I enjoyed looking at items my friends had.  
Oh how I loved it when we would go to the mall and my father would buy us chocolate stars to share.
I was lucky enough to live in Orlando, Florida for two years, so Walt Disney World is a big part of my sweet childhood memories.  Although I must say they were no more grand of times than the times my family and I just were home together sharing soda and pop corn.  I truly believe it is the togetherness that creates the special memories.  
Strawberry shortcake dolls were such a neat thing.  I traded something with a friend and had my very own apple dumpling doll that I carried everywhere in my purse with me.  I never longed to own them all, I was content with the one I had and content playing with my friends dolls from time to time.  That heart of contentment is what I now am trying to foster in my adult life.  Sometimes reflecting on our childhood can actually help us with the things we deal with in adulthood.
Oh how I loved my sticker book.  My friends and I would trade stickers, and I spent a great many hours just looking at them.  I also had a stamp collection that gave me a lot of joy.  
I loved Bewitched!  That show was one of my favorite things to watch on TV.  I also loved I dream of Jeanie.
My father always wore English Leather, I remember watching him put it on before church.
My aunt TD always had Dentyne gum in her purse, I loved when she would give us some while we spent time at her cute little house.  Some of my fondest memories were spending time with my cousin Kim and my Aunt TD.
Oh how much fun it was to play with silly putty and Sunday morning comics.  These things were simple, but truly I believe with my whole heart it is in the simple things where we find the most happiness.
We always looked forward to the Christmas catalogs to come out, so we could see all of the neat toys.  Looking through those, were very special to me.
I remember sitting at my Grandpa and Grandma's table and enjoying a dish of vanilla ice cream with Hershey's Syrup, how we would mix it up and make chocolate ice cream.  I like to reflect back to a time when life was not so busy.  A time when we didn't need much to have a heart of contentment.  A time when I got to share precious moments with my family on a regular basis.  These times will always be so very dear to my heart, and looking back actually helps me to try to create simple pleasures in our life now.  Thank you for stopping by my little space.  I hope you all have a very happy Valentines day tomorrow.  I will be giving thanks to God for all of the love I have been given, and all of the dear people he has brought into my life over the years.  God bless.  Hugs to you.  ~Juli


3 comments:

  1. What sweet memories, I love many of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child of the 80's your post brought back such happy memories. The Dentyne pack was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! I'm pretty sure my blood pressure went down while reading it.

    ReplyDelete