Tuesday, October 11, 2022


 Today I thought I would share my favorite book, aside from the Bible.  When I was in the third grade, I had a teacher who would read us the Little House series each day.  For my birthday that year, my grandpa and grandma Smith took me to Mansfield, Mo to visit her home and museum.  While we were there, they purchased for me the entire set of her books.  I have read these books from then on.  A couple of years ago, I purchased a new set because my original set was in delicate condition after all those years of use.  I will always keep my original set that my grandparents purchased for me those many years ago.  

I truly love each of her books, but The Long Winter is my favorite.  I like to read it each year before winter comes.  It helps me to be thankful for the warmth that our family has, even when it is bitterly cold outside, and the food we have to eat.  In the book, Laura tells of the Long Winter where the trains could not get through because of blizzard after blizzard, and the towns people did not have supplies needed to live comfortably.  It not only inspires me to be thankful for the things many of us take for granted, but it helps me to think outside the box when things happen in our life as well.  I have heard it said before that necessity is the mother of invention.  In the book they came up with creative ways to make what they had available to them work for things they were not normally used for.  

I can honestly say that these books have helped me on my life's journey by bringing good old fashioned values into my world.  They truly have been a blessing to me, and I wanted to share them in case anyone would like to read them as well.  Thank you for stopping by my little space.  Hugs to you.  ~Juli


2 comments:

  1. Ohhh yes! My friend. I adore these precious books too. Little House in the Big Woods is my favorite! I remember reading it as a child when the wind was howling outside, and feeling so cozy and safe. I adore her books! I hope you are enjoying autumn! It's finally cooling down here in Texas. Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is my favorite one too!!!! I have a set that is probably the same as you. Is it like pale yellow and in a little box??? I had that in my bedroom for so many years! I saved it and my girls read them too. Hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete