Wednesday, September 27, 2017

~Laura Ingalls Wilder : Little House Books~

I thought I would tell you about the books that have truly blessed my life.  A good many years ago, when I was in 3rd grade, I had a wonderful teacher named Mrs. Longrin.  Each school day, she would read us a chapter or two out of the Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little House books.  I loved school that year, and looked forward to all of us children gathered on the rug, listening to her read to us about days of old.  Mrs. Longrin never knew, but her doing this helped to shape my life.  My grandpa and grandma Smith found out that I liked these books, so for my birthday that year, they took my sister and I to Mansfield, Mo.  I got to see Laura Ingalls Wilder's home for the first time.  My grandparents purchased for me, my very own set of Little House books.  I have kept them all of these years, and I read and re-read them often.  I love the way they did not have a great deal of things as we do in today's time, but what they had they used and loved.  They also were very careful to take good care of what they owned.  They did not live in a disposable society, as we do in today's times.

  There was a time in my life when Tristyn was just a baby, when all of the food we had were dried beans and flour.  We had to live on this for over a month.  Because of Laura Ingalls Wilder's book, The Long Winter, I still knew we were blessed.  We had a roof over our heads and even good climate control.  Tristyn was nursing, so I would take my vitamin to help my milk be nutritious.   If you have never read these books, I can not recommend them enough.  They changed how I looked at the world, and have always helped me to put my hardships into perspective.  They have truly been a blessing to my life and way of thinking.  A great deal of wisdom from times of old are packed inside of those pages.  So, if you are wanting something good to read for yourself, or to read to your children, (if you are lucky enough to have your children sit and listen to you read.)  consider Laura Ingalls Wilder's Little House Books.   Thanks for stopping by my little space.  Hugs.  Juli

9 comments:

  1. Oh Juli,
    I love this post.
    And I am sure you are not surprised that I have all the books, and treasure them too.
    When I was young, I liked to think that Laura was my best friend. : )
    Hugs, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a neat thing how the written word can last for always, and connect different generations together. I know I've always thought of Laura as a dear friend as well. Hugs to you! Juli

      Delete
  2. Oh I too remember a wonderful teacher, who read to her class(s) in school!!!!! Yes, class(s) plural.

    I began school at a multi class room school, in a little country village. Mrs. Murray taught both 3rd and 4th grade, in one room of the school. When she read, she read to both.

    I learned to love books, from her. And I always remember her.

    'Little House' books... I remember reading them to my first granddaughter, who I took "free day care" of, from the time she moved back, and she was 1 1/2 years old. :-)

    Reading to her, was before nap time, every week day. :-) Ohhhh, the books we had! And ohhhhh the number of books, she wanted read, every day! Of course, we both knew, the number, was a form of procrastination. Putting off the "dreaded" hour of quiet. Which Nana enforced. More for Nana, than for her. :-)

    So many wonderful lessons can be learned, from your favorite books. And to think, how far we have traveled, away from those values, is so sad-making. Soooooo sad-making.

    Now, the norm is to have so much stuff! More is better! And all those horrid views. No wonder children grow up to feel entitled. Entitled to everything.

    No one must interfere with anything they want. No laws. No other viewpoints. No-nuthin'! For these nearly grown up individuals of today.

    -sigh-

    Sorry, you wrote a lovely post... And I went off on a tangent, on one point. The sad difference, between the values of then, and many values of today.

    Gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is wonderful that you read to your granddaughter. I do understand your frustration. It is sometimes hard to see the way the world is going and not just get sad or upset. There is a quote that says, "Be the change you want to see in the world." I like this because, we can not control how others behave, but we can make our own lives a beautiful place, and even help to inspire others to do the same. Mother Teresa always said just step outside your door and make a difference in the place you are. (Those are not her exact words, just the just of what she said. ) I hope you have a good rest of your week. Hugs. Juli

      Delete
  3. Do you know I've never read these??? I have picked up several of them recently from thrift stores and plan to read them this winter. I did start the first one and read a little to my oldest grandson during summer vacation. He seemed to like it, but was so hyper and active, and just ready to GO!! So we only read a couple chapters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are in for a treat. They are amazing books. Hugs. Juli

      Delete
  4. We go to Mansfield, when we vacation in Branson, Mo. The last time we were there, I thought how neat it would be to stay in that little RV area, so close to where Laura lived. Have a good rest of your weekend. Hugs. Juli

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Juli,
    Have you ever read Janette Oke's series, Love Comes Softly? What a great set. It's Christian-based and set in the 19th century Canadian prairie. I think you would really enjoy the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary! I have never read those books. My cousin told me about them years ago. I had meant to read them, and then forgotten all about them. I will add them to my book list and make a trip to the Library soon. They sound like books I would love! Thanks for the suggestion. Hugs. Juli

      Delete