Monday, August 13, 2018

I have debated in the past to do a post on the subject that I am going to talk about today, but I have decided that I truly think I need to.  I have Bi Polar Disorder and have been in remission for five years thanks to medication.  I would not wish this disease on my worst enemy, as the things I went through before I started taking medication, were simply horrible.  The reason I want to do a post about this, is because I want to shed light on the stigma attached to mental illness.  Yesterday evening I received a very nasty text from a women named Christine.  She is mad at me for not letting my daughter ride in the car with her, for reasons I won't get into.  In the text she sent me, she threatened to tell people that I had Bi Polar and had to be hospitalized before I started treatment.  When I read that she was trying to use this disease to threaten me, it made me very angry.  I did nothing wrong and did not ask for this disease anymore than someone with cancer would ask to have it.  Mental illness is the brain (which is an organ) not functioning properly.  Anyways, I just want to say that we all need to understand mental illness is not something that we should be ashamed of.  Nor should it ever be used against a person.  We need to end the stigma attached to mental illness, and perhaps if we did, more people would be willing to seek treatment.  My heart is just broken right now, and I wanted to share my thoughts on this very serious matter.   

16 comments:

  1. Oh Sweet Friend,
    Bless your soul.
    I am so sorry for your heartache.
    I wish I could give you a big hug right now.
    I applaud your decision to share your story.
    I too recently shared my diagnosis of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, and felt such relief and received so much love and understanding.
    Hugs and love.
    And as for Christine...as my kids say...Haters Gonna Hate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sweet friend! It is a blessing to call you friend. Hugs. Juli

      Delete
  2. What a wretched thing to do. That says way more about her than you. You are absolutely correct that this is a treatable illnesss just like diabetes or thyroid disease or any other medical condition. There is nothing to be ashamed of. I am happy you are following a treatment plan that works for you. I will continue to enjoy your blog as I always do with no judgment of you at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. It means a lot to me. Hugs. Juli

      Delete
  3. I’m sorry about your condition and especially sorry that you are being threatened.
    If that woman is this mean and cold, you are right not to let your daughter be with her.

    You take care of yourself. There is no shame at all in what you must deal with.
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhonda. I truly debated about posting this, but I am already feeling blessed with the kind support. It is heart warming. Hugs. Juli

      Delete
  4. Well shame on her. Just want you to know that this will back fire on her. Too many people have mental problems and struggle. Hugs to you. This is not your fault. My unlimited energy is not my fault either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your support. It means a lot to me. Hugs. Juli

      Delete
  5. My husband and daughter struggle with Depression and Anxiety and my son has ADHD and anxiety. All havr been hospitalized in the past all take meds to combat it. They are better people for it.
    Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of. Trying to use it against someone however is very shameful. Sorry you are dealing with such a vindictive person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I know what you mean, I truly believe it is my hard times that have helped me to grow the most, and for that I am thankful. God bless.

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry this person did this to you. I have anxiety, panic disorder, some agoraphobia and some OCD. I say "some" because I can still go out - but only to very close by stores and not for long. My thoughts are with you.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I have trouble going places that are too crowded myself. I do it, but prefer not to. Hugs. Juli

      Delete
  7. It's very brave of you to share your struggle, and you are absolutely right - we need to remove the stigma of mental illness. I am glad that you were able to get yourself help in dealing with your bipolar disorder, I know that it's a tough one. Try to remember there are more people out there who support you than would try to hurt you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is wrong on so many levels. I’m sorry you’re going through this. I have anxiety which is nothing compared to what you go through. People who don’t suffer with a mental illness have no clue. God bless you for coming out with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lee Ann, I have been humbled by the kindness and support so many have given to me in response to this post. It has truly been a blessing to my heart.

      Delete