Monday, July 29, 2024

~A Visit To Mansfield Mo to Laura Ingalls Wilder's Homestead

We went to visit the homestead of Laura Ingalls Wilder and her husband Almanzo in Mansfield, Mo.  Her books have been a gift to my life and have helped me to see my hardships with a different perspective.  Her home was left exactly as it was at the time of her passing.  Only three weeks after her death, her home was opened to those who loved and cherished her and her writings.
This is the outside of the homestead that she and Almazo built little by little.  It took 17 years before it was complete.  In the past people knew that waiting for something was part of life and they did it as time and money allowed.
Laura loved to read and she had this home library to keep her treasured books.  This is off of their parlor.
This is Laura's radio.  She and Almanzo never owned a TV.

Here is the parlor.  Almanzo made the beautiful rugs.
This is a little nook that Laura enjoyed sitting and looking out at nature.  Almanzo made the table.
Here is the chair where Laura would sit at and read her Bible.

Here is the desk where Laura wrote the Little House books.
Here is Laura's vanity in her bedroom.
Here is the dining table.
They have this cut out of Laura in her kitchen and it is the actual height of Laura.  She was tiny, so Almanzo built all of her counters and such low, so they were easy for her to use.
Here is Laura's wood stove.

 I have been reading Laura's books for most of my life.  The written word is such a gift.  If you have never read her Little house series, I hope that you will consider reading them.  In our fast paced society that demands instant gratification, it is a blessing to read about a time where life was less disposable and where people were not going at such a rapid pace.  
I want to thank you for stopping by my little blog.  Have a cozy day.  God bless you and keep you in His loving care.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a special post. I am happy for you to have been able to go and visit Laura's house and see some of her belongings. It looks like a place I would enjoy visiting someday. Reading those books seem like a perfect way to spend some time each day. I need to look into buying the books. I am sure I would enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this, my friend. I too have read and reread the Little House Books. In fact, I think you and I have the same set...yellow cardboard box? I am so happy you got to visit her home! I love your thoughts on taking time to do things too. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful pilgrimage to see a favorite writer’s home. How cozy it is. I didn’t know Manly was a weaver, too.
    ..Lord bless you and keep you🌸
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for such a lovely post and picture of Laura's home. I still have the the paperback books, that I bought in the '70's. I have since bought the hardback copies, so that I can pass them on to my Great-grandchildren....and I am still reading and enjoying them as I have in the past. I look forward to your posts, as they are "comfortable".

    ReplyDelete