Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Laura Ingalls Wilder's personal items

I want to share with you some of Laura Ingalls Wilder's possessions.  These items are housed in the museum located near her and Almanzo's farm house.
Here is Laura's sewing machine.  Before having this, she hand sewn her and Almanzo's clothing.
Here is Pa's big green book that Laura wrote about in her Little House books.
The lace on the middle shelf on the left side is the lace Ida Brown (Laura's classmate and dear friend) slipped into Laura's hands when she and Almanzo were married by Ida's father.  (Ida's father was their minister.)
Here are some of the beautiful pillows made by Laura.
Here is Laura's wallet.  Notice how worn it is.  Even though Laura would have had the money to purchase a new one (after she wrote her books)  she used what she had.
Here is the little gift that Laura got in her childhood for Christmas.  It was given to her by her church.  She also wrote about this in her books.
Back in Laura's day, nothing was wasted and she repurposed books she no longer needed.  

Here is Mary's nine patch quilt.  Laura wrote about this in her Little House books as well.

Here is Ma's pen that she used to write letters to loved ones.
Here is Laura's Bible.  The little bookmark was given to her by a school child that loved her little house books.
These are the five cent notebooks that Laura used to write her Little House books on.
Here are Laura and Mary's slates they used in school.
This perhaps was something that touched my heart the most.  Laura's pencils were not discarded when they got low, she used them until they got very low.  I am touched by how much of a non disposable life they lived.  They did not spend money in a frivolous manner, but instead used what they had and made due.  My heart longs to live a life such as this.  With possible hard times ahead for our world, it is my hope that we can learn to live in a way that is not so consumer based.  Simple old fashioned living where our joy is based on the Lord and not on what we can acquire during our lifetime.
I want to thank you for stopping by my blog.  Have a cozy day.  May God keep you in His loving care.  Hugs to you.  ~Juli
 

5 comments:

  1. Another lovely and interesting post about part of Laura's life and keepsakes... Thank you so much ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking us along to see Laura's treasures and memories. I'll probably never get to see these things in person, so this is the next best thing.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another wonderful post from you for us to read and enjoy. Love seeing and reading about Laura's life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you my precious friend for what you sent me!!! When I tell you I absolutely squealed! I am framing both the letter and the bookmark. I always love, love to see your cards and letters in my box. What a precious friend you are. 🩷🩷

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way when I receive your cards and letters! I am blessed to call you a friend!💜

      Delete